Sunday, July 17, 2022

New to Procreate

Well, I did it... I broke down and got an iPad Air with an Apple Pencil. I know, I know... I have always been THAT designer... the one who likes the versatility of Windows programs over Mac. I also HATE that the biggest name in graphic design has always been ADOBE... and they know it, they can charge BIG BUCKS for their Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign (among their other programs) making them out of reach for the novice artist. Also, most art created with these programs can only be opened by these programs themselves. So, I, being the thrifty artist that I am, found programs that did pretty much the same things as these Adobe programs for much less or even FREE, such as GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus

But, the truth was, I wanted to try DRAWING ELECTRONICALLY. I have seen more and more art made using tablets and styluses (styli?). I have been researching programs, apps and hardware for this purpose, and came to the conclusion that Procreate was becoming the digital artists go-to program. It is easy to use, and inexpensive to buy (but it only worked on Apple Tablets with the Apple Pencil.) So, since my old Samsung tablet was too old to accommodate the drawing programs and not enough memory power to connect a stylus even if I could find a program that worked on it, I decided to replace it with an iPad Air (5th generation). 

Come to find out, the Apple Pencil that my husband had was the first model, and did not work with my new iPad, so, I had to purchase a model 2 Pencil (about $150). So this was a HUGE investment into my art and design business. 

After watching several tutorials on YouTube... I found these two very useful and informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YuqNLz5AUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-CtwX3u0w

But after learning the initial basics, and especially gestures, I played with the included brushes and artistic textures, used masking layers, and even a bit of animation (gif), I have decided that I definitely LOVE this new addition to my creative space!

This is my first ever Procreate drawing. I use Goodnotes on my iPad because I still like the "feel" of a handwritten planner, and notes. So, this was my first ever DIGITAL PLANNER STICKER. The Wheel of the Year (pagan/wiccan calendar) showing the 8 holidays, and the astrological year. I wanted to include the moons, and still might at a later time, but being a moon cycle, it fluctuates year to year and month to month. 

I hope you like it. I don't have much in my online Zazzle shop -- McCarron Art & Design -- in way of metaphysical art... yet... that is something in the works, but not at this time. 

If you would like to use this digital sticker for your own planner, you may do so, all I ask is to PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW, and say "Hi". I would love to see photos of how you use it in your own planners or notebooks. 

Thanks again! Find your joy in art!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *