Sunday, March 31, 2019

Why I Don't Promote Famous Artwork

As you might know, I am a painter AND a graphic designer. I originally had separate stores; one for my fine art prints on canvas, poster paper, or even wood, glass or metal, and one where my designs could be applied to mugs, hats, tee shirts, etc. This year, I decided to simplify my all artwork into one store under my McCarron Art & Design store brand.

In the process of this, I also showcase a collection of some of my favorite watercolor pieces from other artists on the Zazzle platform. Since that collection was published a few weeks ago, I have gotten asked several times: Why don't you have famous artist's paintings in your favorites collection?
Duh! They are already FAMOUS. They don't need my help. No, but seriously, I don't condone the reproduction of famous artworks in my Zazzle store because...
  1. Most pieces from famous artists are copyrighted and can not be reproduced without permission. Printing these famous works on any item - t-shirt, mug or canvas - is a copyright infringement with serious consequences. Jail-time and fines aside, I strongly believe in giving artists credit for his or her hard work. 
  2. Since most of these famous artists are dead, if I was to get permission to print their work, any copyright royalties would go to the museum or whomever BOUGHT the copyright... Not the ARTIST. Dead artists don't need money. Which brings me to number...
  3. I wholeheartedly believe in supporting artists. I shop at local craft shows whenever possible and I seek out handmade items. When I find pieces that I love, I follow the makers online via social media and any online stores. I support the beauty they bring to life.
So, there you have it. Three reasons why I don't promote famous artwork, and why I totally love to promote UNFAMOUS artists.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *